WHAT WE BELIEVE IN;
Less is more
Giving materials a second life
Reducing the impact of climate change
Respecting our waterways
Eliminating toxic chemicals and processes
The world is a complex place and supply chains are no different. As responsible members of the global community, we are committed to making changes in the way we manufacture and where we choose to manufacture. We are far from perfect, but we are doing our best to stay true to our core values of being responsible custodians of the planet and making meaningful contributions to society, which is why we use sustainable materials and manufacture exclusively in Africa.
The choices we make throughout our development and production processes are purposeful and aligned with the United Nation’s Global Sustainability Goals. Out of the UN's SDGs we focus in particular on 5 - Women participation, 8 - Economic empowerment, 12 - Responsible consumption and production and 15 - Protecting the environment. The goals are integrated into our business eco system and directly influence all our business decisions.
It is important to us that all the people involved in our supply chain are treated fairly, with respect, work in safe conditions and have access to stable employment.
We created the 100% Initiative to support artisans operating in the informal sector in Africa (80% of the total population work in the informal sector), where incomes are irregular and working conditions poor. The initiative is focused on developing a product to market ecosystem with the aim of providing the artisans and their local community with regular and stable incomes.
100% of all net profits generated from the artisan products is used to fund technical and business training, funding apprenticeships and providing financial support for raw materials and equipment. Our aim is to grow capacity and produce high quality products which will contribute to regular and sustainable incomes for the artisans and the local community.
The cost of clothing production in Africa is higher than Asia but as a brand, we are committed to working with small manufacturers who will benefit from our experience and expertise to further grow their businesses whilst making meaningful contributions to society.
We love well made products. So, everything we produce uses high quality materials and components, is fit for purpose, easy to care for and made to last.
We invest a lot of time developing our products to ensure each product has integrity and an extended lifespan to avoid ending up in land fill. We are big supporters of the circular economy and recommend recycling products at the end their life.
We encourage our customers to make informed choices when making a purchase with each product page detailing the social and environmental integrity and impact of the product.
MADE FOR CHANGE
As a brand, we have a responsibility to proactively adopt sustainable and cleaner production practices and consistently make informed choices that have a minimal impact on the environment.
Our integrated approach to sustainability is set and measured against relevant industry and global standards and is applied to our entire supply chain - from raw materials to packaging, labelling and production.
CUSTODIANS OF THE PLANET
We do not use virgin fibers derived from fossil fuels. Any synthetic fabrics and trims we use are either recycled or upcycled.
We do not use shells, coral or any materials harvested from the sea.
90% of our fabric is Ecovero viscose, sourced from certified renewable forests. The other 10% (viscose and cotton) is sourced from traceable supply chains and manufactured responsibly.
We only print digitally, and all piece-dyed fabrics use a low liquor ratio in the dyeing process.
All our buttons are sourced from the tagua nut which fall naturally from Tagua palm trees.
All our sewing threads and interlinings are recycled.
Our polybags are made from sugar cane (95%), which is a renewable green resource and can also be recycled with conventional plastic.
Our e-mailers are made from 100% recycled plastic, printed using eco inks and are 100% recyclable.
To maintain visibility and integrity in any supply chain, it is important to know what activities take place in each facility while promoting an honest and transparent relationship with each supplier.
By mapping our supply chain, we can monitor compliance against our ethical and environmental standards, progress on corrective actions , social and economic impact and alignment of local laws. We apply the same principle (product, people and environment) to both the formal and informal sectors with specific caveats and provision for the informal sector.
Every piece of our SS21 jewellery is handmade exclusively by the skilled artisans of Bombolulu Workshop in the ...